Canadian Architectural Stained Glass After World War Two

 

Architectural stained glass in Canada was established largely as an ecclesiastical art form during the nineteenth century. In the post-World War Two era however, aesthetics and studio practices changed radically with new innovations, transforming the craft and design traditions of the art form. The Canadian artists Marcelle Ferron (1924-2001) and Eric Wesselow (1911-1998) produced significant stained glass projects for public architecture during this time. While both artists introduced abstract stained glass to sacred and secular spaces, they did so using very different approaches: the industrially fabricated and the handmade. Working as a designer, Ferron collaborated with industry to design monumental windows for secular public architecture in the province of Quebec, such as metro stations, courthouses, and hospitals. As a craftsman, Wesselow designed and personally crafted smaller scale windows for synagogues and churches in Montreal and Toronto.

Read the full article in the Fall/Winter 2016-2017 issue of Studio Magazine. Subscribe here.